Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Old School / Conscious Hip-Hop

Betterdayz502 wrote:
(last month)
Do you listen to anything that isn't Gangsta Rap? It wouldn't hurt to listen to something that is actually smart.

solidbrotha187 (that's me) wrote:
(last month)
if i wanted to hear something smart, i'd buy a book on tape

That pretty much sums up how I feel about people who want to push their agenda of ending the evolution of hip-hop.

My main arguments:

1) Everything changes, you numbnutted donkeycocksucking necrophiliac. You think hip-hop shouldn't have changed, maybe I wish we just stopped doing everything in the way of aeronautics (right word?) as soon as the Wright Brothers made that thing fly for a few seconds. I could get to McDonald's pretty fast in that glorified hangglider. Maybe playing Number Munchers on the Apple IIc is ok for us. Fuck creating game systems and then developing better ones. Fuck creating the internet and laptops and cellphones with Wi-Fi. Fuck it, let's use magic to heal us. It's really too bad that the medicine game is changing like it is. Penicillin is where we should have stopped. Now everything is getting to be too much. Who needs an understanding of the human genome? Knowing about germs is terrible. I like looking at my meat and saying, "Damn, I sure as shit hope there's not a jungle of bacteria on that T-bone," instead of KNOWING THAT COOKING IT WILL KILL THEM ALL, THANKS TO PEOPLE STUDYING AND CHANGING THE WAY WE THINK ABOUT THINGS. Changing the way we think? To one of these perineum-licking, pubic hair-sniffing, BME-Pain-Olympics-makes-me-horny MOTHERFUCKERS, changing the way we think is NOT OKAY. Unless you're changing to agree with them.

2) Nobody forced you to listen. Hey you, watch this TV show! Eat this sandwich! Wear these clothes! Play this game! And you'll enjoy all of it. Hey dick, that's not how shit works. You can change the station or press next track. Douchebag!
3) You're not all-knowing. Plain and simple - who shoved a magic wand in your asshole and made you the one who decides what's "good" and what's not? Answer: Hopefully nobody.

4) It's not like your favorite music is disappearing, nutbreath. Mr. Salty-ball fanatic, nobody's Fahrenheit 451ing all your favorite 8-tracks, tapes, vinyls, cassettes, and CDs.

5) Me listening to my favorite music isn't taking away from your listening to whatever you like, armpit-cuddler. But I really wish it did. I'd listen to Gucci Mane's mixtape without pauses if it meant you couldn't hear Gangstarr or whoever the hell is the greatest MC.

Here's the thing. I'm not saying my favorite music is the best, even though you continue to do so. I'm saying, as a matter of fact, that nobody can say that. Until somebody develops a STANDARD system of measuring quality of music, I don't wanna hear you claiming yours is the best.

This is what I hear:
-The lyrics are better.
-The beats were more complex.
-They rapped about more varied things.
-They were doing it for love of the game.

But you don't know what I like in a song.
I personally like...
-A good beat (bass, and hopefully something else inventive) - simple is cool too though, if you can make it work.
-An artist who's been around the block.
-A gimmick (being an idiot, putting in no effort, whispering, having a high-pitched voice, rapping stream-of-consciousness, etc.)
-Something I can enjoy, and danceability is a plus.

(BUZZER) NO MATCH!!! And now you're upset. You should be upset about the fact that you bathe in asscrack sweat.

I'm not saying I hate old school, and I'm not saying that new school is better. I'm saying that your opinion isn't right, and you shouldn't be trying to convert me. Next thing you know, motherfuckers (in pairs) wearing gold chains and jumpsuits will be knocking on my door and passing out Q-Tip CD's, trying to convert me to Oldschoolism. And you know what? I'll take the Q-Tip CD and enjoy it. I'll slam the door in those bitches' faces, but I'll say thanks for the CD before that. That's all.

I leave you with this. If you're talking to somebody who doesn't love old school as much as you, instead of telling them that they're a dumb fuckin' idiot, tell them you want them to give a song or a CD a listen. If your friend says no, fine. Your friend is closed-minded, which is OK. If yes, and they like it, congrats, you converted somebody without forcing shit on them. If they don't like it, it was worth a try.

And you need to realize that hip-hop is changing, evolving, whatever you wanna call it, and your upsettedness (possibly caused by a dirty diaper/wedgied panties) isn't going to change it back, and nobody's going to change because of your punkass beliefs.

Betterdayz502, though I responded in a dick manner, I'll let you continue to swear that your music is better, and I'll continue listening to "Get Like Me" and the entire Keak Da Sneak CD.

(If you'd like to see my top music on last.fm, go to http://www.last.fm/user/solidbrotha187. Apparently they changed the site up and I'll have to get used to it, but I'm sure Plies and 2 Pistols are making their way up the list.)

*If I completely fucked up grammar or something like that, get over it. Comment and I'll explain anything that doesn't make sense.

Next Post - Will Ferrell - it wil be short and sweet - believe me.

Twitter icon Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most people would agree that the hackneyed rhymeschemes of KRS-One and his contemporaries, combined with their predictable beats make historically significant music all but culturally obsolescent in the modern sense, but the "no one is FORCING ignorant rap on anyone!" argument is ridiculous. The white power structure absolutely DOES have the wherewithal to dominate perceptions of culture by controlling media, the nexus between artists and audiences in a post-industrial society. Major labels and media consolidation that occured through the esurience of Congress and the venality of the FCC aids this saliently.

Furthermore, conscious hip-hop does not necessarily equal old school, and old school definitely does not equal conscious. There are plenty of artists that combine more modern hip-hop forms with conscious lyrics. Dead Prez use gangsta imagery and beats, with conscious lyrics. The same could be said of the first two Coup albums. There are tons of other examples too.

Neighborhood Bully said...

eamonn - do the damn thang

anonymous - "hackneyed" is a wonderful word, and you raise a number of great points. your opinion is valued here, and since you aren't trying to force anybody else to think it, i'd like to say thank you for showing another side. feel free to continue commenting on other posts on this blog.

Christopher T. Patton said...

If we're talking about the old school then we have to start talking about what was happening in the South in the 1990s instead of playing into some hazy nostalgic image of New York in the golden age, an image that's just as manipulated as the personas of Southern hip-hop stars today. If you accept the notion that nothing was brewing down south back then you're only accepting the label placed on southern artists by record companies who we're looking to satisfy "urban" markets and would singlehandedly dismiss southern artists as being too country. That fact manifests itself today in how southern artists express themselves today. The South brings so much to modern hip-hop including new marketing tactics and stronger connections to independent labels even if the few stars getting airplay are all on the majors. More succinctly, they flipped the game so fuck all you haters.